Monday, December 08, 2008

Boxee & Apple TV

I recently started to use Boxee on Apple TV and love it. It took multiple attempts to get the installer to run, but once it did, it worked flawlessly. I now am able to watch Hulu on my television set, which is incredible. I replaced cable with an Apple TV, so Boxee greatly expands my content options and without a service charge.

Currently, I have only noticed two problems with my new setup. First, Boxee's interface on the Apple TV can be a little sluggish. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the system has accepted input from the remote control. It would be wonderful if it could accept remote control commands from the iPhone (not that I am being greedy or expecting too much! ;) ) I imagine that will improve over time as Boxee is currently in alpha.

Also, I occasionally have problems watching content that Hulu flags as accessible only to those 18 and older. Sometimes when I try to watch a show, it will tell me that I have not verified my age. Unfortunately, there is no way to rectify that under the setup that I have currently installed.

The good news is that Boxee now has a version that works with Apple TV 2.3 software. This version allows users to use their own Hulu accounts, which should solve the age verification problem.

Overall, I am very excited about checking this out and will report back after I install the upgraded software. Boxee has a blog with details about their work here: http://blog.boxee.tv/

No comments: