Wednesday, May 13, 2009

First Impressions: Gyminee

I've been thinking about getting into better shape for a while now. I'm not in horrible shape to begin with, but since I really like sweets, I know that I may need some help organizing and encouraging myself through the process. Enter the Gyminee website. Gyminee allows users to set weight loss and fitness goals and enter nutrition and workout details to help guide users to success. There is also a social aspect to the site which allows users to join groups and encourage each other.

On the nutrition side of the site, Gyminee is excellent. Gyminee has a vast library of foods that is relatively, in my limited experience, free of duplication. Adding foods to the database and to the list of things that you ate today is very easy. I also really like the clean interface and the ability to save certain foods to a favorites list.

The fitness side is a little less flexible. You have to create "workouts" from sets of exercises from their library. The library of exercises are pretty small. It is difficult to find what you need if you do anything too creative in the gym. If you try to avoid doing the same routine over and over again, you will have to create a new "workout" every time you go to the gym and tracking progress becomes difficult.

There is a fee-based "pro" option on the site that enables a number of advanced features, but those would not solve my problems with the fitness tracking system. Because of its limitations, I'm sticking to using the nutrition side of the site only. I'll report back on my progress later to see if the site helped me along.

No comments: