Thursday, July 13, 2006

Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays!

Finally, I can justify (sort of) my purchase of a $500 MAME box(I mean Xbox360). Microsoft has announced that it will release a new Xbox Live Arcade title every Wednesday this summer, many of them classic arcade updates. The line up includes Frogger, Galaga, and Pac-Man, among others. I downloaded the demo for Frogger last night and played the one level that they gave away for free. The game play is similar, but the graphics and sound have been updated. I'm not sure if I like that. At least with Joust (which has been available early on), the graphics look authentic. The only really noticeable change is that the designers drew a copy of the original screen overlay on the background. Overall, it is not distracting. However, Frogger's update is a little disappointing, and here's why: it still looks outdated, but not in the charming, 8-bit way. It looks like a re-do of a version for the PS1. Sometimes graphics updates make original game play ideas look hokey because they obscure the constraints under which the original game designers were working. Still, I'm glad that there is interest in these older games.

I will probably still unlock the full version. I am hoping that somewhere in there is an original version to unlock. We'll see...

No comments: