Wednesday, April 22, 2009

EasyBloom - nice idea, but do I really need one?

I have a black thumb. I admit it. I didn't think that anything could help me, but there may be hope in the form of EasyBloom, but I'm on the fence as to whether it is worth it. It is an electronic device that looks like a plastic daisy. When placed in a pot next to a plant or where you plan to put one, it will monitor temperature, light, soil, and water conditions and let you know what plants can best live under those conditions and if you already have a plant there, if you are over or under watering it. The device can also help you determine why a plant is doing poorly. Once the EasyBloom has collected the data, you separate the "flower" and from the "stem" of the device, exposing a USB connector. You can then connect it to your Mac or PC to send the data to EasyBloom's online plant library for recommendations and information.

While this looks like an interesting device, it sells for approximately $60 US which seems like a lot for a sensor that you will use only occasionally. What do you think?

No comments: